Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Heavenly Alarm

So Scott has been saying lately that I am a snorer, I really don't know if I believe him yet, due to the fact that I am still waiting for evidence of this fact.  But, whatever!!  The other morning though, Scott was telling me that my snoring actually saved him from being late to work.  He said that I rolled over and started snoring right into his ear, he was a "little" annoyed at this gesture of snuggling and rolled me over, as he was laying there annoyed he looked at the window and noticed it was light outside, to which he then looked at his alarm clock and only noticed then that his alarm had not only not gone off, but that it wasn't even set and it was time for him to get up and get out the door.  So my thinking is, how cool am I, that I can not only act as an alarm clock but that I get to stay asleep while doing so!!!

I do think that if (and that is a big if) I do actually snore, I owe it all to my Dad and the Merkley in me.  Besides growing up and hearing my Dad almost bring down our house with his nightly snoring, I also remember one night a long time ago when there was a Merkley Chorus of sorts.  It was I think my Grandma Merkley's 80th birthday party and there was a multitude of Merkley's around, we were all at Grandpa and Grandma's house in Tridell and of course when all the cousins are around there are many pleas of "can I spend the night" heard from many children to their parents.  I remember that I was lucky (or so I thought at the time) enough to get to spend the night at Grandma's house, after talking, laughing and visiting with my cousins until late in the night, I found a spot for my sleeping bag and settled in for the night.  Just as I felt the peace of slumber knocking on my door, I heard a sound that brought me right out of my reverie; someone was snoring.  After getting used to the idea of listening to this, I again settled in and was awaiting the sandman.  Just as I felt my body starting to relax, I was again startled by the sound of another snorer, Augh!.....  The next moments seemed like a nightmare to me, the bad thing about this type of nightmare was that; I was awake and therefor had to live through it, for you see one Merkley after another started snoring, they filled the house with snore after snore, they were coming from upstairs, downstairs, back bedroom, master bedroom, front room and I am sure down the lane at Uncle Errol's house too.  I at one point started waving my hand as if to conduct a symphony, the only thing was I was not enjoying this musical rendition, at all!  When it was time to get up (for those who actually slept) I was so grateful, but sadly for me and my mom, I was a little ornery the next day for my Grandma's actual birthday party celebration, but being with family is always a plus, so we had a great day anyway, and the next night I did not ask my mom if I could spend the night because I was too tired to go through that ever again!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the story about the trip back east, when they all slept on the bus and Grandma and Aunt Veon spent a good part of the night giggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Grandma Veon and my Mom are champion snorers, so I think *if* you do snore, you've got it on both sides!

    ReplyDelete