Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Chapter 25: Boys and Chickens

As I stepped out into the arena and felt the dirt kick up around my feet, I knew I was ready for the fight of my life, I was ready to conquer. I took my position by the gate, my hands felt sweaty with excitement, my feet were itching for a chase. The big man in charge raised his arm to signal for all to get ready, and as he was lowering his hand giving us the go, my heart leapt inside my chest as the thrill of the chase began. With my feet barley touching the soft brown dirt I took off, all I saw was a blur of other kids and the prize in which I desired............a chicken. I set my sights on my bird of choice, his eyes were wide with fright, his feet were moving fast, but mine were faster. I charged straight ahead never lowering my eyes from his, he dodged right, I followed. He moved left, I followed. He turned his head for a quick moment to scope out another escape route and that is when I pounced like a lion upon his prey. When the dust settled around me, I raised my head and as I got to my feet, I proudly raised for all to see, my prize, my chicken.

This is the story I saw while watching Zachary at the Neola Kids Rodeo, he was so excited to be chasing a chicken, and when it was finally his turn, he really tore it up. Bradley not to be outdone by his brother went out to prove his worth and came back with not 1 but 2 chickens, (I don't know if it was really legal for him to catch 2, but he was on cloud 9, so we just let it go.) We had so much fun watching them chase those chickens. So began the story of Cooper (aka Beth Cooper, aka Coop), Timmy and Goldie Locks, albeit a short story because as most of you know, we live in the city, we have no room at the inn for chickens. So after spending 30 hours with their new "best pets ever", they lovingly gave them to William and Stephanie Merkley who so graciously told the boys they could come and visit whenever they wanted. p.s. Lainee did also try to get in the action but once the feathers were flying she got a little chicken shy.





2 comments:

  1. I totally remember being in those as a kid. Except that they were greased up little chickens! I don't remember if I actually caught one, but you totally captured my excitement I felt while participating!! Maybe you should look into writing a book - you are great at telling stories! Who knows, you could be the next J.K. Rowling or Stephanie Meyer!! :)

    Your favorite sister! - - Taci

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, you are sweet! You ARE my favorite sister.

    ReplyDelete