Friday, August 10, 2012

2 or 22

You know when you reach that point in life where your kids seem to be at a good age, they can get themselves up, they can do their own hair, they can cook small meals, they can go to a swimming pool and you don't even worry about them drowning, all these little thing that seem to make you think; WOW, my kids don't even need me............sad times!!!

And that is why the Lord sent me Kennadee 

She is so grown up in some many ways and in others she is like a 2 year old.  And yesterday was a prime example of both.  She is heading off to Jr. High this school year and although she looks like an 8 year old in stature she indeed is old enough.  As we all know when we enter our kids in school, there are 2 years the kids dread for the same reason; kindergarten and 7th grade, why; because of immunizations.  And this was the year for Kennadee's 7th grade shots YAY!!!  So let me give you a little back story if you will.  I was in Maryland in April and that just happened to be the time that K, needed her shots so I so smartly told her Dad to take her.  I loved that he agreed because I knew what was in store for him and I just got to sit back and wait for the story of how everything turned out.  He called me after it was all done and said "yeah, I will never be doing that again."  I asked in my most sympathetic voice "why, dear?"  and here is what he said;

First off I made the mistake of telling her "before" we got in the car where we were going, so I had to practically drag her to the car, then she started crying and didn't want to get out of the car, once I convinced her to get out of the car she decided that she would hold tightly to the railing out front, when I finally peeled her off the railing, she held onto the door, when I finally got her into the building and sat down to fill out the paper work she just cried and cried and then when it was finally her turn, I practically had to drag her down the hall and basically sat on her while the nurse gave her the shots.  It was not fun Melanie!!!

I smiled big!!!  I have been with Kennadee since birth and have been there for allllllll immunizations and so I knew what he was getting into and even though I gave him suggestions of what to do and what to avoid doing, he made the mistake of thinking "she's old enough not to do stuff like that".  Little did he know, and thus the big smile on my face :D  The bad part came when Scott told me that one of the shots was a 3 part series, ugh, So yesterday I took her in for the 2nd part and she was for the most part okay, she was still nervous, pouty and had water-filled eyes but I just had to keep telling her why it was important that we get immunizations and how she would be just fine.  When she was finally called back, she let the waterworks loose and started panicking so I tried to help her breathe and realize that she would live, it came to the point where I had to say to her, "either you can sit here and I can just hold your hand or I have to hold you down while you get the shot."  She looks at me and says "you are going to have to hold me down!!!"  I started laughing and she look at me with these bewildered eyes and asked why I was laughing, I told her I was sure she was the only child ever who had made the request to be held down while getting a shot.  So I sat down on the chair grabbed her and with my arms holding her arms down to her side and my leg crossed over hers, she got her shot and it really only stung for a minute but she had to milk it for all it was worth, as we were walking out of the building I told her to quit crying so that she wouldn't scare all the little Kindergartners who were there to get shots and she just shot me a look of unbelief and cried "they need to know that it hurts"   Oh my, she really needs to get into Drama!!!

  

Her grown up alter came out that night as we were helping out at a wedding reception for a ward member, she was such a huge help to me, she was quick to do what was asked of her and she went above and beyond what I or anyone else asked her to do, I was truly grateful for her help.  I always get a kick out of watching her at weddings, she just is so enthralled with all that happens, at one point the whole wedding party was dancing and she just couldn't hold still, so I sent her out to go and watch and dance if she wanted, the Mother of the Bride just smiled and laughed as she said to me, Holy Cow I can't believe little shy Kennadee is just out there watching and enjoying herself without you glued to her side, made me think of how grown up she has become this last year. 

They may not need me for every second of the day, but I do like knowing that if all I am needed for is to hold them down for a shot, that they can still count on me!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment