Friday, August 27, 2010

Chapter 77: An American Flag

I know I have been lax in posting about the rest of our MD trip, and school starting but things have been a little busier than I hoped, but a conversation between Lainee and I made me pause and I had to blog about it.

But first you are going to need a little background. Mom came with me when I was driving home from MD and since we had a "little" extra time, we decided that we would swing down to Springfield, Ill. where the 16th President of the United States lived and is buried. So we went to a little museum, watched a film on Abraham Lincoln's life and then went and visited the house he raised his family in. After that we went to the Tomb where he and most of his family is buried, it was a very neat experience to be at his grave, and we were lucky to have gotten in at all, they were set to close a few minutes after we got there. As we were leaving the tomb, a caretaker was lowering the flags that were flying beside the tomb, when he saw my 3 kids (Bradley left the week before with Kari) he came over to us and asked if the kids would be willing to help take down and fold the flag.............what a privelege, I didn't even wait for the kids to answer because I knew what they would say, so Grandma and I ushered them over and this kind man helped teach and instruct them in the proper care of the flag of the United States, I could have jumped out of my skin, what an incredible opportunity for them, to be able to retire the flag at Lincoln's tomb, once in a lifetime I am betting.



















So now to my Lainee story, here is the conversation we had yesterday while driving in town.

L - Mom, do you remember when we helped fold the flag at that grave?

Me - yes

L - can you believe we did that?

Me - No, it was really cool that you got to do it, huh!

L - and can you believe that it was the 'merican flag?

Me - *snort* haha oh Lainee!!!!

Anywhere we go if there is a flag flying she points to it and says "Mom, it's the 'merican flag." I guess I just took for granted that she understood why that is usually the "only" flag she sees, all others are just state flags or pack flags etc. etc. My cute little Lainee!!!

1 comment:

  1. *giggle* They are sooo the same age!
    My daughter was frustrated this summer with "WHY are there so many American flags? This is Cedar City, not America!" um.... LOL

    ReplyDelete