Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chapter 68: Memorial Weekend

YAY!!!!! for the first camping trip of the year!!!! This being said I feel that I need to mention that I have learned a valuable lesson:

I really do NOT like dirt, in any way, shape or form.

And the thing I learned about my kids this trip:

that they are dirt magnets, in every crease, nook and cranny.

And although I may not like dirt, I do like to spend time with family, and watch my kids explore and go on adventures and laugh and have fun with their cousins. And above all I love the fact that at night when their dirty little bodies are all tucked in, they were NOT in my trailer!!!!!! :)

The weekend was spent up in the Uintahs with Grandma and Pappy, Scott's cousin Mark and Freda Daniels and their kids, and then throughout the weekend we got visitors from both sides of our families, Great-Grandma Horrocks, Uncle Eric and Aunt Jolene, Scott's cousin Mindie and her two girls, Grandpa and Grandma Merkley and Aunt Veon. And Freda's parents who I just adore also came up. Freda's Dad came in and helped teach the sign language class that Kari and I took in High School, it is fun to "try" and communicate with him although I mostly just have Freda do the signing and I just pretend to know something every once in a while.

We stayed in a spot that the kids appropiately named "Pine Cone Valley" that also included a spot in which they "made" a dirt hill called "Devil's Hill". Bradley said they made like 6 slides going down this hill and believe me, they spent allllllooootttt of time on that hill, which was nice for me, because it just gave me time to cozy up by the fire and read my book!!!! (Good for me, Freda and Megan like to read too.) We had some yummy dutch oven food too, pot roast, creamy potatoes, pizza, peach cobbler!!!! But the weekend's top pick of funniest moments belong to Zacky and Grandma. One night the kid's decided that they would tell scary stories, it was Zacky's turn and you could tell that he was really getting into it, so as his story is getting really intense I just reached over and grabbed his arm and yelled BOO! he jumped and started screaming and I also made Megan and Bradley scream too, we all laughed and laughed and when we were done laughing Zacky just picked right back up from where he left off and finished his story.

Grandma Daniels on the other hand was just sitting by the fire minding her own business when out of nowhere the firewood popped and a red hot spark landed right on her neck, she cries out "I think I'm on fire!" to which the rest of us, just started to snicker, we were all there and saw it, I just assumed she had flipped off the spark and didn't realize it, but nooooo, it really was still there and she kept trying to get out of her chair, still amidst laughter from us, until she yelled "Help, I can't get out of my chair!!", by this time we are all crying, and yes it is because we are laughing hysterically, so she finally gets out of the chair and the spark fell down into her shirt rolled all the way down, then finally fell out onto the ground. As if watching this unfold was not funny enough, my wonderful mother-in-law then makes us all smell her hair and jacket to prove that she had indeed been burned and it really did smell like burnt hair, Robin I did feel really bad that it had to happen to you, but it was sooooo funny to watch!!!! So thanks for the laugh!!!

Sooooo when's the next camping trip?????

No comments:

Post a Comment