Friday, September 3, 2010

Chapter 79: The power of a dollar

I think it has been said before and will be said again; that I love books, I love to read and with this love comes something I am not very good at:

Self-control (especially in book stores)

My kids know this and use it to their advantage, but never quite as "good" shall we say as Zachary yesterday!!!

Zachary, home from school comes bounding in and says "Mom, I have found this book (in the Scholastic book order) and it is only $2 dollars, so can I get it?"

Me of course being the wise one, "Well put in on your Christmas or Birthday list and we will see." (although in my head I have already bought it and he is sitting on a blanket in the frontyard with nose in book and glass of ice cold lemonade and a blue straw close by.)

"Hey Mom, how about if I pay for it, then can I get it now?" He pleads.

"Well maybe, let's talk about it later after your homework is done!"

He runs into his room, I am thinking to put his school stuff away and clean up a little, but when he comes out he says "Okay Mom, I will pay for 1/2 if you pay for the other 1/2."

"Why 1/2?" I question him.

"Because I only have 1 dollar, and the book is 2!!" he exclaims

"Okay, let me think about it and we will talk about it later." I tell him

to which he replies "Hey Mom."

"Yes"

"Can I have a dollar?"




No comments:

Post a Comment